Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Don't Use All the Washing Machines

This might seem like a insignificant annoyance to me on any other day, but today it was the thing that confirmed that I am in a grumpy mood. Let me start at the beginning... 

Around 9:30 I was laying in bed, when I heard pounding on the door. I wasn't entirely sure it was pounding on my door because I still had my ear plugs in and was somewhere between asleep and waking. Regardless, I jumped up, ripped out my ear plugs, and hobbled to the door. And when I opened it, there was no one there... Strike 1. 

After an abrupt start to the day, I woke up remembering I didn't have peanut butter for my bagel, so before having a cup of coffee or eating anything, I went to the store. I decided to get some quarters to do laundry, and while doing so the teller at the bank counter proceeded to try to interest me in a home loan... Let me paint the picture. I was in a t-shirt and jeans, no make up, and a cap. Clearly I had just woken up. When I cashed my check, I couldn't even remember my account number. I know this guy is just doing his job, but I think the signals were clear that I wasn't lucid enough to come close to thinking about when I would be needing a home loan. Strike 2. 

I took my time getting motivated to do the laundry. I was groggy when I got home and although I drank 2 cups of coffee, I wasn't in my brightest mood! When I finally gathered everything together to go to laundry it was probably about 3. So I made my basket full of clothes, grabbed the detergent and bleach, and headed to the laundry room, in the basement (which is at the end of the hall, down two fights of stairs). When I got down there another girl was casually sorting her laundry and I asked if there was a free washer. As she continues to toss things in the washer she says, "that one is broken, and I am using the others..." There ought to be a sign that says, "Its not cool to use all the working washers at one time. Other people might want to use them. We don't have multiple washers so you can do all your laundry at one time." But there isn't a sign. So she continues on saying, "But, this is my last load, so in 30 minutes there will be one free." Typically I would just shrug my shoulders and be cool with the whole thing. But today after starting off a little rough, I was, honestly, extremely annoyed. I wanted to tell her that its not very considerate or thoughtful to not leave at least 1 washer free for the other tenants. I wanted to tell her that even if she had 5 more loads, she was going to let me use it after this one. I wanted her to relinquish the washer to me pronto! Of course, I didn't say any of those things and of course she didn't relinquish the washer. So I carried everything back up to my apartment and waited. Strike 3. And I'm officially in a grumpy-pants mood. 

I tried to snap out of it! Really I did. It wasn't until I scored a point playing ultimate frisbee later this evening that I felt the grumpiness start to ease off... And that *is* a good feeling. Hopefully tomorrow won't start with pounding on my front door! 


No comments: