Sunday, August 24, 2008

Traffic at Church

I was surprised today when I witnessed the human condition, and was actually a little disappointed where I saw it too. Its no big secret that we have a traffic problem at Buckhead Church. If I didn't attend church there, I would avoid going to that area of town on Sundays. But, I do go to church there, and love it, but today I was surprised by my fellow members! Let me tell the story:
I was turning off of GA 400 onto Lenox Rd., making a left hand turn. Traffic was backed up to that intersection and all the way to the next light, which is not unusual. I had to make a left at the next light where there are 2 left turning lanes. I lined up to wait my turn, which I thought everyone else would do also, but as I naively sat there in my car, people started pulling out around the line of traffic and cutting off the people who were patiently waiting for their turns to make the left at the light. At first I just thought it was one rude person, but then I saw car after car do it, and I amazed; couldn't believe it! What is this? Here we are going to church to learn how to live lives that reflect the heart of Jesus, and we are cutting each other off so we can get there first? Is this so we can get a better parking spot? Or better seats? And if so, doesn't that also show that we are failing at reflecting the heart of Jesus who wouldn't fight for the best parking spot or the best chair? I was truly shocked that even at the place we go to learn how to live better we treat each other with very little courtesy. Would it really hurt for us to wait maybe 5 extra minutes?
Now, I know that I am not a perfect driver, that I am guilty of taking control of intersections when it's only maybe my turn, or squeezing through on a yellow light. But for the most part, I think that I am at least aware of the other drivers around me, and I try for the most part not to take someone else's turn, cut people off, or just be plain rude. And maybe this morning God was trying to get me to think about my driving habits and really evaluate how they show my opinion of other people. If I really respected other people, I probably wouldn't tailgate them or get all frustrated when they aren't driving exactly how I want them to drive. Hmm, this is not an easy city to practice courtesy when driving, but you know, I think I really am trying, especially on Sunday morning! And that doesn't mean I am driving super-slow, it just means I am looking for you out on the roads, and respecting the fact that you have the right to drive there too!

No comments: