Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Patio Stop 2b: My Porch

After being out around town, I had to make a special stop: home. I had some reading to do before small group, and I had forgotten to bring the book with me. And, the poor kittens needed to be fed. So home I went. When I got there, it occurred to me I had been neglecting a very special patio: my screened in porch.

I have a porch on the front of my building that I sometimes neglect. Partly I neglect my porch because its leaking and the landlord isn't doing anything to fix it, and partly because the leaking has lead me to neglect the condition of the porch (which means there is a growing accumulation of stuff that needs a different home)...

My porch is a little special because I don't have usual porch furniture on it- I have a bed on my porch, a full sized bed. It is beyond luxurious to relax on the bed on my screened in porch, red a book, and sip a glass of wine. The only thing that would make my porch better (besides the landlord fixing the leak) would be less traffic on Briarcliff road. Unfortunately, being the front apartment means I get a front row seat to the traffic on Briarcliff road. Its not insufferable, but its not exactly peaceful either. Which means I have only attempted to sleep on the bed on my porch 2 times. Neither time did I get a whole lotta sleep. So the bed is mostly used for reclining and reading on lazy afternoons.

So between patio stops, I stopped at my own porch. The parking isn't bad- I have a pass in my own lot! There is no food service unless I make something for myself... And, as for plugs outside, I don't have one. The porch faces the east, which means in the afternoon there is no direct sun- which is nice in the summer, but cool still in the early spring. When I compare it to the other patios on the tour, it ranks pretty high because, after all, it is attached to my home. But, its not quite high enough on the scale to keep me home and off other patios around town. And so onto other patios I go, in search of the perfect place to get out into this early spring weather!

No comments: